History of Godhra

Godhra is a town of Panchmahal district. Panch means the number 5, and Mahal refers to tehsils or talukas; hence, the word Panchmahal means five talukas, which include – Godhra, second one is Dahod, third is Halol, fourth one is Kalol and fifth one is Jhalod. These talukas or towns were transferred by the Maharaja or King Sindhia of Gwalior to the Britishers.

Godhra_Panchmahal_History

Mughal Rule in Godhra

In the year 1480, Mohammad Begada selected Godhra as the headquarter out of one of his states and made Godhra retain its importance even after Champaner became the capital in the year 1484. The history of Panchamahal and Godhra has deep connection with Champaner, which was established by the king Vanraj, who used to rule Solanki Dynasty in 7th century (647).
During the 13th century, Chauhans captured the Panchmahal from Alauddin Khilji, and ruled the city till Sultan Mohammad Begda seized the throne in the year 1484. And the Mughals ruled from 1575 to 1727, Godhra became the city center.

Maratha Rule in Godhra

Later, the Maratha general Sindhia conquered the Mughal Empire, took the city of Panchmahal under his control, and ruled in 18th century. After few years Syndhia dynasty was renamed as Maharajas of Gwalior, which then captured by the British sovereignty in the year 1861, who then made the district to appear in the division of Gujarat in the Bombay Province.

Godhra was considered as the head quarter of Panchmahal district during the time of Sindhia that is between 1770 till the year 1853 and also continued further during the British rule as well as when the city was under the rule of Government of India after the independence. 

British Rule in Godhra

Godhra province, during British rule was later partitioned into two Mahals –‘Western Mahal’ and the 'Eastern Mahal’, which got divided to the territories of ‘Baria’ – also known as Devgadh, and other as ‘Sanjeli’. The western portion had rich soil, while eastern portion was usually comprised of fertile valleys for cultivation.

Godhra - Land of Great Men of the Past

Godhra, which is a town and a municipality of Panchmahal. The name 'Godhra' refers to 'Gou' – a Cow, Dhara – 'Dharti', means that Godhra is a Land of Cows. As per the mythological terms Godhra is a land where cows are taken for grazing.

The historical or ancient name of Godhra is ‘Godhrahk’ or ‘Godhak’, which was organized by Parmar King called ‘Dudhul Mandalik’ in the year 1415 A.D.

Godhra_Gandhiji_Ashram

Godhra is also known to be a place of Gandhiji, as he established his Ashram here and resided here for a considerable amount of time. The ashram also served for the welfare of Harijans (low caste people) and their rights. Also, this is the place, where the freedom fighter, the 'Iron Man', Shri Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel practiced law. It is said that this is where Mahatma Gandhi and Vallabhbhai Patel met for the first time, in the year 1917.

Godhra is where the great political leaders Morarji Desai and Sardar Vallabhai Patel started their political career. 

The political history of Godhra is still alive, which represents Late Shree Pilu Modi who was known internationally as a special Member of Parliament.

2987
  • SHARE THIS
  • TWEET THIS
  • SHARE THIS
  • COMMENT
  • LOVE THIS 0
  • E-mail

Comments / Discussion Board - History of Godhra

Loader
  • J
    JITESH S SONAVANE from VADODARA 44 Days ago

    VERY GOOD INFORMATION

    0 0
    Report Abuse
    Reply
  • F
    Firoz Giteli from Godhra 426 Days ago

    f_bagicha@yahoo.co.in

    0 0
    Report Abuse
    Reply